Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Five Syllable Word for Sloth

Throughout my life and continued daily I struggle.  Somethings I struggle with more than others, but one of the biggest things I battle with and against is another word for one of those seven deadly sins.  It's a five syllable word called procrastination.  As you try and confirm that it is there are five syllables, I will assure you that are five of them.  With every battle, there are a number of forces trying to gain their own will.  Usually the will that wins out is the one that has never done me any good; my self-will. Through following my own will, I am susceptible to my selfish ways.  These ways are very limiting to me.  Whether they are in the form of my nemesis, pride, or any other thing that follows the Trev-centric ways, they take away from the greater good of growth and giving.  The way I see it, if I'm not growing, learning, a feeling good with myself, I am no good to anyone else.  When those three things are in-sync, I am in-tune with other people's feelings, wants, and needs.  When in-sync, I am that smiling, chipper fellow with a twinkle in his eyes that someone whom once told me that everyone found so irresistible as a child.  So how do I battle this self-will?  Upon asking the question while typing, I was flashed with an action I used to do as a child when I was asked to do something I didn't want to do.  Somewhat of a simultaneous eye and head-roll with a whiny "Uuuugh, whhhhy?!"  This is basically what happen internally when faced between what should be done, the right thing and doing what I want to do, usually the wrong thing.  Again, how to do I fight it?  I gain the motivation with the inspiration of the last time I got something done that I needed to.  I "visualize" and feel the inner sensation of accomplishment.  I remember that mini-success achieved by winning a past battle with procrastination.  I recall how feelings achieve by just getting to the task and completing it propelled me through the rest of day and into the following days.  What motivates me in these situations is really those good feelings achieved by doing those productive things and having that sense of success.  You see, I've always loved feeling good. The problem was with alcoholism, I was dependent on being intoxicated to experience those feeling.  I couldn't handle coming down from those synthesized good feelings so I continued that blurred existences until my body couldn't handle it anymore or until the money was all gone.  Now, I have an opportunity to become "addicted" to healthy good feelings achieved by doing the things that are necessary, right, and actively bring me close to the goals I have in place.
I was texting someone sometime ago and was hit with one of those "Aha" moments.  I was emotionally struggling with accepting where I was with my career and financially.  First of all, I am exactly where I am supposed to be.  Second, it all falls on me.  If I am not liking where I am and I am not doing anything about it, where am I going to continue to be?  Ya, exactly where I am not wanting to be.  I get inspired by certain quotes, but if I am allowing my fears or sloth to continue to be the main driving force in my life, I can have all the willingness and inspiration in the world and still will not act.  Willingness alone does nothing for me.  Through experience, once I fight through sloth and fear and do what I know I can do, everything begins coming my way, I feel great and those great feelings, as said before, have a multiplier effect through the added motivation they cause.
So for me to get things done and battle fear and sloth, I have to remember the good and just act without thinking, justifying, or remaining to committed to my will.  I will always remember the quote from Vanilla Sky, "Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

2 comments:

  1. Hey Trev!! Once again you managed to hit it right on-Homerun Buddy. I too struggle with procrastination from time to time worrying about the things that I want and not concerning myself with other peoples' needs and only thinking about what I want and what I will get out of it, but I usually break free from it by doing what I know is right. Even when I'm feeling like my deeds are unappreciated. Thats usually not the case, but sometimes my disease takes me there anyways. I have to remember that all things dont reap rewards in this life, sometimes you have to wait to benefit from the things you do for others, not to mention that people are watching you and your actions all the time even when you don't notice them, so sometimes just being in the right place, and doing the right things can and will open doors to new and better things. We just have to be patient and follow through with what is being asked of us. Thanks for the inspiration Brother, I'll try to keep it in mind the next time I find myself in that situation. Keep it real my friend and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brother! It's a DAILY struggle. Even today, I was immersed in mind-numbing movie watching. There were moments of oblivion scattered through a conscious knowledge that I could be doing something else. I kept asking myself, "what could I be doing right now." I did get up to do some research, but to me, that was something just to make myself feel better through taking myself away from that other God of mine, the television. Really, I am full of ideas, plans, and strategies, but they are nothing without execution. Inertia, eh? I am aware and that's a beginning.
    As for deeds being unappreciated, for me, that's where my expectations and pride or lack of humility get in the way of my peace. A test of our humility comes in the form of doing something that's right without expecting anything in return. It's tough, it's challenging, but I know we up for it.
    Keep an eye out for entries on humility and my MASSIVE addiction to entertainment...especially television.

    ReplyDelete